Read and Learn More About PestsBest Tick Spray For Yards
They latch on to you or your pet, feed on your blood, irritate the living daylights out of you and, to top it all off, spread disease like Lyme disease. That is why it is imperative that you have an effective tick spray with active ingredients for your yard.
According to the CDC, most species of ticks prefer to have a different host at different stages of their lives. This means that this might not just be a pet problem.
At some point, ticks will begin latching on to you are your family members. The biggest problem is that these little pests will do much more than just irritate you. They will also spread diseases such as:
- Tick-borne paralysis
- Black fever
- Lyme disease
- Recurrent typhoid
Without the proper kind of therapy, administered at the right time, the victim might end up disabled or even dead in the direst of cases. Trust us when we say that these are not pests that should be taken lightly.
How Do Ticks Spread Disease?
Some tick species are actually known to stalk their potential prey. They can detect body odors and the breathing of animals. Some are also known to wait in common pathways so they can latch on to any passersby. Once they attach themselves to their host, some ticks take up to 2 hours trying to find the right feeding ground. After that, they:
- Insert their feeding tubes into the selecting region of skin. Some ticks even secrete a cement-like substance to keep themselves firmly attached to that feeding spot.
- They secrete saliva that acts like unaesthetic so that you never really know that they are feeding on you.
- The tick will feed on the host’s blood slowly for days. If the tick happens to have a pathogen in its saliva, this will be passed along to the host.
- Once the tick is done feeding, it will drop off and move to the next stage of its life. It will also transmit any pathogens it has acquired to the next host.
This is how ticks transmit diseases between hosts.
How to Prevent Tick Infestations
Although the best way to make sure that you do not have ticks on your property is to hire a pest management professional who can run a full diagnosis of the entire property and get rid of any ticks that may be lying in wait. The other option is to take on preventive measures that will limit the probability of these little buggers finding a home on your property in the first place. Here are some tips from the CDC on how to make your property a tick-free zone:
- Remove any leaf litter
- Be sure to clear all tall grasses and brush around the home are cleared
- Mow your lawn
- Create a buffer zone between your lawn and wooded areas to limit the migration of ticks. You can use a 3-ft wide barrier of gravel or wood chips
- Keep your playground equipment and your patio away from hedges and trees
- Keep your yard neat and tidy. Remove old furniture that may give ticks somewhere to hide
- Do not allow any stray animals into your yard – they may be carrying ticks
These are simple, yet effective landscaping tips that will help minimize the occurrence of ticks on your property. However, there is still a chance that you might get the odd tick or two sneaking into this tick-free zone.
In those cases, using an effective tick spray for yards is a good way to ensure that you not only kill the pests but that you keep others from invading as well. Here is a list of the most effective tick sprays for yards:
Best Tick Spray for Yards
According to the University of Arizona, the best tick repellents are very much similar to those used on mosquitoes and have active ingredients to maximize tick control. These repellents should contain:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil
These are just some ingredients that are considered effective when it comes to making tick repellents. With that being said, here is a quick list of some of the best tick sprays for yards:
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
This is an easy-to-use clothing spray that contains 0.5% Permethrin. It is just as effective as DEET products and is perfect for repelling:
One of the biggest advantages is that this tick control repellent lasts for about six weeks or at least six washings. You, cannot spray this product directly on your skin, however, and must only be used on clothes.
- Lasts for up to six weeks
- Does not make dry clothes smell
- Does not leave stains on clothes
- Cannot be used on skin (toxic)
This product is recommended for those who enjoy outdoor activities such as hunting, camping, and fishing but still want to keep themselves tick-free.
Although this spot-on tick control and flea control aerosol contains only 25% DEET, it is highly effective when it comes to fighting:
- Black flies
- Sand flies
This product is to be applied as directed by the manufacturer and the intervals between sprays should be about two hours.
- Can be used on both skin and fabric
- Repels a long list of pests and insects
- Repels mosquitoes for up to eight hours
- The description does not say how long it acts against ticks
- The two-hour spraying interval is a little inconvenient
It is recommended that you should also spray this repellent on your socks, the cuffs of your clothes, and around any openings for better protection against ticks.
This is an easy-to-use insect repellent that works on ticks, biting flies, fleas, gnats, and no-see-ums. It has a maximum DEET concentration of 98.11% which makes it perfect for extreme environments.
- Works for up to 10 hours on one spray
- It is excellent for use in extreme environments such as wooded areas
- Perfect for those who enjoy outdoor activities like hunting and fishing
- Some experts say that this kind of high DEET concentration is unnecessary
- This kind of concentration, although legal and permitted in the U.S., is forbidden in several other countries
If you are looking for something that is not only strong but also long-lasting, then this might just be the insect repellent for you.
With the main ingredient being 30% eucalyptus oil, this repellent is lauded as being gentler than DEET based products. It is one of the most reviewed products on Amazon as well as one of the most purchased tick repellents on the market.
- Protects you from ticks for up to 6 hours with just one spray
- Highly trusted in the market
- It is gentler than DEET products
- Because it contains oil of eucalyptus that, despite being a natural action repelling chemical, is highly synthesized to meet industrial needs. It isn’t, therefore, recommended for use on children under the age of 3.
This is one of the most natural and trusted tick repellents on the market today. Selling at a very reasonable price, it is something you should definitely consider having in your home.
This is a fast-acting tick spray that is not only amazing when it comes to killing ticks, but it also goes a long way to eradicate most insects on contact. This spray is so popular because it works on your pets as well as your yard. If you are looking for a reliable tick spray for yards, then this is it.
- Works on both your yard as well as your dog
- Can also be used on puppies
- Kills ticks, fleas, and flea eggs on contact
- It repels mosquitoes
- Using too much of it can irritate your dog’s skin
As one of the best natural tick sprays for yards, Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Pet & Home Spray is excellent for those who are not only concerned about their yards, but also about their pets.
Although these are all wonderful methods to ensure that your yard is tick free, if you are not certain and do not want to risk the health of your family members and pets, then you definitely should give a pest management professional a call.
We are not only fast and response, but we are also clinical on the execution of our duties and extremely professional when it comes to interacting with our clients. Give us a call today and let us help you make your home a tick-free zone.